I will be doing a series from the Book of Daniel. I believe it will be very useful to us at this time of a global health crisis.
Daniel & his friends/colleagues were caught up in a crisis of sorts back in their own day: the loss of their freedom & had to live & flourish under a different atmosphere.
Key Points from Chapter 11
- Proceedings continue from Daniel chapter 10. The angel told Daniel that truth will be shown to Daniel. i.e., the meaning of the vision would be explained extensively.
- There were various maneuverings involving aggressive kings jostling for power and kingdoms.
- At these times., in much travail, the angel said in Verse 32: “…but the people that know their God shall be strong and do exploits.”
- In these perilous times, a leader would emerge who would do according to his will, exalt himself, magnify himself above every god, speak “marvelous” things against God and prosper till the indignation be accomplished. [ASV].
- This same one shall not regard the god of his fathers, nor the desire for women. [Some commentaries have interpreted this to mean his sexual orientation].
- Inthe end, he shall amount to nothing, and none shall help him.
- Be sure to read the whole of chapter 11 in the Bible, to fully understand what transpired and to gain your own perspective.
- The interpretation the angel gave Daniel continued to chapter 12. We will cover that next.
- The angel mentioned “the children of the violent” [ASV] in verse 14. There are those in life given to violence. In this story, they ended up falling.
- It is so amazing how the angel described the travails in the future, a bigger crisis than what Daniel was experiencing at the time, yet he stated as a matter of fact that those who know their God shall be strong and shall do exploits. This applies to us now, in this time of our own crisis.
- ASV: American Standard Version.