I will be doing a series from the Book of Daniel. I believe it will be very useful to us at this time of a global health crisis.
Daniel & his friends/colleagues were caught up in a crisis of sorts back in their own day: the loss of their freedom & had to live & flourish under a different atmosphere.
Key Points from Chapter 1
- Daniel was taken into captivity. That was the atmosphere in that time. He got swept up in it. There really wasn’t anything else he could’ve done about it. Sometimes life is like that. We get swept up in larger societal or global events, just like the present health crisis going on around the world.
- Daniel purposed in his heart not to defile himself with the king’s dainties, or his wine, & sought an exemption from his preparatory supervisor. He decided not to live “carelessly” at such a time. Choosing instead to follow the instructions of his own faith. God’s word.
- Even though Daniel & his 3 friends took this approach, they didn’t suffer any losses & appeared fairer than those who partook of the king’s dainties & wine.
- God gave the 4 of them knowledge & skill in learning & wisdom, & Daniel had understanding in all visions & dreams.
- At the end of their preparatory period, they were brought before the king to be tested by him & were found to be 10 times better than all the magicians & enchanters who were in the king’s domain.
- And so Daniel continued, beyond the rule of Nebuchadnezzar, on to the 1st year of King Cyrus.
- It is possible, when one is in an extended crisis, to conduct oneself properly, in line with God’s word, with a clean heart & an immaculate conduct.
- God’s favour doesn’t end in such times.
- We don’t lose out for following God’s word, just as we don’t follow his word solely for “gain”. We do so because we love him & are called according to his purpose.