I will be doing a series from the Book of Daniel. I believe it will be very useful to us at this time of a global health crisis.
Daniel & his friends/colleagues were caught up in a crisis of sorts back in their own day: the loss of their freedom & had to live & flourish under a different atmosphere.
Key Points from Chapter 2
- In the 2nd year of Nebuchadnezzar’s reign, he had a dream that caused him some concern & which he also couldn’t remember.
- It disturbed him so much that he called for the magicians, enchanters, sorcerers & the Chaldeans to remind him of the dream & to interpret it.
- They weren’t able to & so the king got angry & commanded that all the wise men in Babylon should be destroyed. This was rather rash.
- Daniel & his friends were once again caught up in this situation. He spoke with counsel & prudence to the captain of the king’s guard, who then explained what was happening.
- Following this, Daniel offered to solve the problem so that neither he nor his companions should perish along with the rest of the wise men of Babylon.
- God revealed the secret to Daniel in a vision at night & Daniel thanked God with a prayer, & sought audience with the king.
- When he met with the king, Daniel told the king his dream in detail & interpreted it perfectly.
- Awed, the king actually worshipped Daniel & was in awe of Daniel’s God. He gave Daniel many gifts & made him great. He also made him rule over the whole province of Babylon, & chief over all the wise men of Babylon.
- Daniel remained focus while in captivity. He wasn’t given over to endless complaints.
- He kept his composure & spoke with counsel & prudence.
- He solved a major problem, which led to an elevation of his status, professionally, politically & financially.
- He remembered his companions in that moment, & obtained authorisation from the king to make them administrators in Babylon too, thus elevating their statuses as well.
- Sometimes challenges are meant to be solved, & are meant for our promotion. So it is important that we have the orientation of problem solvers.
- Daniel always consulted with God & didn’t live only for himself.